Sunday, February 23, 2014

Chia Seeds: What are they?

One of the interesting things that I like to incorporate into my diet are Chia Seeds. My friend Alyssa every time she looks at my yogurt asks...what is that? They certainly look odd but there are a lot of health benefits that they offer. 

1. They have FIBER! Fiber is a very important part of your diet that aids digestion.

2. They have healthy Omega-3 fatty acids in them. These are so good for your hair, nails, skin and brain health.

3. They help keep you full! I put them in my greek yogurt in the morning and it helps keep me full through my morning classes until lunch time!

4. They contain NO GLUTEN or grains! So they are safe for those with dietary restrictions or those following a gluten free diet.

5. Chia seeds can play an important role in regulating insulin levels. They can reduce insulin resistance and decrease abnormally high levels of insulin in the blood. This also helps fight belly fat and can help keep you toned!

They are also so easy to incorporate into your diet. You can mix them into yogurt, oatmeal, a smoothie, cereal or even over a salad! The taste is pretty mild. Also to make it even easier... I buy DOLE Nutrition Plus milled seeds. They are individually portioned in little sticks that look like what Crystal Light Drink mix comes in! All you do is pour the serving into whatever you are eating. It is so easy. They are also NON-GMO if you buy this brand :)



And now a few fun facts that are on the back of the box...

OUNCE for OUNCE, Chia seeds provide...
2X more omega-3s than walnuts
3X more fiber than oatmeal
5X more calcium than WHOLE milk
39% more fiber than FLAX

go out and buy them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment