Tuesday, February 18, 2014

What is "Healthy"?

If there is one thing that has really stuck with me throughout my recovery from anorexia, it is my redefined version of the word "healthy". A lot of people claim that they eat "healthy" but what does that really entail? 

In the midst of my eating disorder I thought that I was the healthiest person out there. I thought being healthy meant only eating certain foods that I labeled as "good" foods and avoiding entire food groups like complex carbohydrates, starches and sweets. I would never touch anything that was not organic and was very picky about the things that I felt comfortable with. Anything that I ate that was outside of my comfort zone i compensated for by working out at the gym.

As I recovered I began to redefine my version of healthy. And the following list of actions are very HEALTHY habits that everyone should aim to fulfill.

1. Making sure all bases are covered during meals. Protein, carbohydrate/starch and a vegetable of some sort. Avoiding food groups deprives your body of essential nutrients.

2. Allowing yourself to indulge. Whether that is eating dessert a few nights a week. Or pigging out on Slices when you are out with your friends on the weekends. Or drinking a warm cup of hot chocolate on a snowy afternoon. Or over-eating on a holiday. These things are NORMAL and HEALTHY for everyone to engage in every once in a while.

3. Taking a day or two or three off from working out. Intense cardio every day of the week is not good for your body. When I told my doctor that I ran 3-4 miles a day every day...she looked at me as if I had just punched her in the stomach. It is important to switch up your workouts and realize that it is okay to have rest days to relax and lay in bed and watch movies. Guilt for not going to the gym or feeling compelled to go to the gym is NOT normal and NOT healthy.

4. Nurturing your body. If you're hungry...eat. If you have an injury...don't workout. If you feel sick...take a nap and rest. If your craving chocolate...have a little piece. Treat your body with care. It is the only one you have. The way your treat it now will affect your health 20 years from now. 

5. Don't let others dictate your actions. Comparing yourself to others almost always results in feeling not so great about yourself. Feeling content with who you are and where you stand in your life is something that will always make you happy. Realize the wonderful things you have in your life. Make a list if that helps. I promise you are beautiful. 


The above actions are healthy to me. Some may disagree but I believe that in order to be truly healthy you must feel okay with indulging, nurturing your body, taking a day off from the gym etc... The people that look perfectly thin and eat perfectly at every meal are usually not as "perfect" on the inside as one might think. Be proud of who you are and content with who you are on the inside. That is what makes you....you. <3 

Lots of love XO

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily! My name is Alicia and I am a correspondent for USA TODAY College (http://www.usatodayeducate.com/staging/index.php/alicia-adamczyk). I am writing an article about eating disorders on college campuses, and am wondering if I can ask you a few questions about your project, blog and experiences. Please email me at aalicia@umich.edu!

    ReplyDelete