Sunday, November 10, 2013

Eating Disorder Statistics

I believe that eating disorders are an extremely prevalent part of our society because there is so much emphasis in the modern world on being thin. I believe that eating disorders are an issue that is swept under the rug because it is a touchy subject. I want to redesign the way we view eating disorders and make people realize how important of an issue they are in our society. To help emphasize this, I stumbled across some statistics that I think will surprise a lot of you...

1) Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness
2) The mortality rate associated with anorexia nervosa is 12 times higher than the death rate of ALL causes of death for females 15 – 24 years old.
3) Only 1 in 10 people with eating disorders receive treatment
4) Most of those suffering from eating disorders are also suffering from anorexia athletica: He or she no longer chooses to exercise but feels compelled to do so and struggles with guilt and anxiety if he or she doesn't work out
5) 80% of 13-year-olds have attempted to lose weight
6) Girls who diet frequently are 12 times as likely to binge as girls who don’t diet
7) The average American woman is 5’4” tall and weighs 165 pounds. The average Miss America winner is 5’7” and weighs 121 pounds
8) 95% of those who have eating disorders are between the ages of 12 and 25

These statistics break my heart. There is so much more to life than being stick thin and eating perfectly and not exceeding a certain number of calories and over-exercising. Those suffering from eating disorder are missing out on life. I myself suffered an eating disorder and now that I am free from it: my life is SIGNIFICANTLY better. I am no longer sad and withdrawn and obsessed with food. I only hope to help those that are still suffering and to make them feel the eternal happiness that I now feel. I want to stop brushing the issue of eating disorders under the rug and spread awareness on these serious mental illnesses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment